Surf Sweets®, the country’s leading brand of organically sweetened, fruitfully delicious and naturally good gummy candies and jelly beans, unleashed a bevy of worker bunnies onto the net in search of the Top 10 eco-friendly Easter basket tips and treats for under $20.
“More and more parents are looking for better-for-you, more natural options for treating their families,” says Bert Cohen, President and Founder of TruSweets, LLC. “Our Surf Sweets team is no different,” he adds. “As parents ourselves, we’re always looking for unique products for our families that are made by like-minded companies committed to making ‘better for you’ products that help our planet.”
The Surf Sweets team assembled this Top 10 list of eco-friendly and organic items you might want to put in your eco-Easter baskets this holiday season:
1. A tisket, a tasket, buy just one Easter basket. It’s smart to invest in just one Easter basket per child and reuse them year after year. Buying new baskets each year can be wasteful. Better yet, repurpose an old basket with a fresh coat of paint. Whatever you do, avoid buying a basket made from petroleum-based plastic.
2. Shred your own Easter grass. We have a great new use for your shredder…Easter basket grass! Prevent landfills from filling up post-Easter season with fake plastic grass by shredding grass yourself with old newspapers or magazines. If you don’t have a shredder, pick up some straw or Eco Grass – available in paper or corn starch-based plastic grass – at Eco Egg for only $2 a bag (green, pink and yellow). Eco Eggs
3. End Easter egg emission. Petroleum-based plastic Easter eggs generate tons of emission and landfill waste each year. Consider a switch to Eco Eggs — made from corn starch instead of petroleum-based polymers–and reduce your carbon footprint. They are made from non-toxic, durable plastic, have a tight snapping closure and are fully compostable after use. They come in five assorted colors: pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Try the 48-ct box for only $15. Eco Eggs
4. Choose jelly bean quality over candy quantity. Fill your eco-eggs with Surf Sweets delicious new 8-ounce seasonal spring mix of its popular Organic Jelly Beans for only $4.49. The new seasonal spring mix includes six new fruitfully delicious and naturally good flavors: tropical punch, lemonade, mixed berry, pineapple, tangerine and watermelon. Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans use certified USDA organic ingredients grown the way nature intended. When a product is certified USDA organic, its ingredients have been grown free of artificial fertilizers and harsh chemical pesticides. Organic agricultural practices enhance the biological structure and nutrients of the soil resulting in a pure, high-quality harvest and the long-term sustainability of the farm. Add Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans to your Easter baskets with the confidence that you are making a better choice for your family and your planet. Being responsible never tasted so good. Surf Sweets
5. Get your eco artist on. Clementine Art offers modeling clay, paints and crayons that are all natural, certified non-toxic and environmentally friendly, all for under $14. Even the packaging is made from 100 percent post-consumer recycled and reusable materials. Clementine Art
6. Who ate the sidewalk chalk? Conceptualized and crafted by a mom and artist, Edible Veggie Sidewalk Chalk is lead-free and made with vegan, organic food-based ingredients including beets, spinach and blueberries. It’s fun to draw with and tastes good too. It contains no wheat, sugar or preservatives. Available in Original and Swirl for $12.Wee Can Too
7. Make your bunny eco plush. miYim’s Baby Victoria is a precious pink bunny perfect for your child’s collection of eco toys. She comes wearing a white hemp dress. She’s soft to touch and made with certified organic and natural cotton. She’s colored by nature and 100% certified non-toxic to help make your home a safe and chemical-free environment for your child. Find her for $16 at Ebay’s World of Good. EBay’s World of Good
8. Jump BPA-free double-dutch. What could be better for the planet than crisscrosses and double-unders when they are done with a BPA-Free Plastic Jump Rope? For only $10.99, this eco-jumper is made with USA made, 100 percent organic cotton rope (7 feet long and adjustable) and 100 percent recycled BPA-free plastic handles. Available in pink, purple and green. Green Toys
9. Have 100 percent kid-powered fun. Whether reading under the covers, making fun shapes on the wall or finding your way in the dark, every child should have a flashlight – with no batteries. The $9.95 Hand-Powered Zoo Flashlights from Ecotronic are magical sources of light. With just a friendly squeeze it’s ready to light your child’s way into the night. One minute of squeezing gives 5 to 10 minutes of light. Available in four different animals: Tiger, Penguin, Monkey and Panda. No batteries mean less waste in landfills, which means less carbon in the atmosphere. Even the packaging is biodegradable. Planet Happy
10. Tap you child’s inner gardener. Young plant lovers can watch nature at work by growing a beautiful flower garden and fresh herbs in just days with the world’s most earth-happy gardening set. This Green Toys Indoor Gardening Kit is made from advanced environmentally friendly materials, helping to reduce fossil fuel use and CO2 emissions, all in the name of good green fun! Nine-piece kit includes peapod-shaped planter tray, three planting pots, a trowel, soil and three packs of organic seeds (Teddy Bear Sunflower, Basil, Zinnia) with easy-to-follow planting instructions. Find it for only $19.50 at Amazon. Amazon