I just got back from the ENT with my son. They are showing fluid in the ears, but the doctor doesn’t see anything. They are also showing an additional hearing loss, but don’t know the extent of that. He has to have an ABR for an exact reading of what his hearing is. He also needs a CT (is that right? a CAT scan?) to see if there is fluid in there that the doctor can’t see, or if there is something else going on.
My son has to be put asleep for the testing to be done. This will have to be done either at Chapel Hill or Duke. Both will have a huge waiting list. They will call me next week with the appointment details.
I am so scared. The doctor wanted to put him on an antibiotic, but I talked her out of it. Antibiotics aren’t helping. He’s constantly on them, and there’s no affect. I think they are doing more harm than good.
I have noticed that my son is turning the volume up on things. I’ve noticed that he isn’t hearing us talking in other rooms like he used to. There was a time when we couldn’t have a conversation anywhere in the house. He would always hear us. Now he doesn’t. I’m worried that he is slowly losing his hearing, and there might be a terrible reason why. I’m also worried that there isn’t, and that there is fluid in the ear. If so, it could be a chronic condition, and nothing is working to fix it. If so, he will continue to have hearing loss until one day, he doesn’t hear.
I don’t know what to do. I’m trying to not think of the worse case scenario, but it’s not easy. The longer we will have to wait to get the testing done, the worse it will be. I want answers now. I hate the waiting. I hate not knowing. I hate that my son is going through this.