I am sorry that I didn’t post much last week. It was extremely busy. I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my son’s ears. I took him back up to Duke last week. We saw the ENT, and she had a couple ideas about what was going on. The problem was, until she got a good look with a microscope, she couldn’t give a diagnosis.
The earliest we could get an appointment scheduled for “surgery” is in November. She will go in, remove the one tube that is still in, and take a good look in both ears. Then the ABR will be done. The ENT was concerned that his eardrums could be displaced, or there might be a cyst that needs to be removed. She noted during her exam that my son has an high arched roof of his mouth. This could lead to his eardrums becoming displaced. My son isn’t very cooperative with letting doctors look into his mouth. It’s not that he won’t let them, he just doesn’t understand exactly what they are wanting him to do. He does open his mouth a little. She was able to get a quick look inside, but not enough to see everything she needed to see. He was also too scared to let her look in his ears with a microscope. She’s a new doctor, and he needs time to get to know her. I was really impressed at how gentle the doctor was with my son. She took her time, and talked to him, instead of over him to me.
I think, given time, and several appointments, my son would allow her to use the microscope. We just don’t have that time. We need to know what is going on, and get it fixed. Whatever it is, it’s affecting his hearing. That I am sure of. And since we can only find out to what extent by doing an ABR, we decided not to stress out my son further by making him let the doctor use the microscope at the appointment. Sometimes, you have to pick your battles. If we weren’t going to have an ABR done, I would have set up several appointments to allow my son a chance to get to know the doctor, and for her to gain his trust. Then, I believe, he would let her use the microscope in the office. I’ve learned that there are some things that my son would be willing to do, once he has slowly been introduced to it. I believe that this is one of them.
I’ll post again about my son’s ears when I know more. Right now, we are in a holding pattern. Until November, I’m just going to have to try not to worry about it. I can’t do anything until I know what is going on. I can’t let myself worry and stress over the unknown. I do believe that whatever is going on can be handled, managed. We just need to know what we are dealing with.